P&O Cruises Celebrates Milestone For Britain’s Most Environmentally-Friendly Cruise Ship
P&O Arvia’s keel laying and coin ceremony has been marked at the Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg.
The team building P&O Cruises 184,000 tonnes ship Arvia, which, like its sister ship Iona, will be powered by liquefied natural gas, making them both among the world’s greenest ships, celebrated the milestone with the traditional coin-laying ceremony.
What Is A Keel Laying Ceremony?
Specially selected Barbados coins were placed under the block before the block was then lowered onto the coins.
Speaking at the ceremony P&O Cruises president Paul Ludlow said;
“This is yet another landmark in P&O Cruises new build history. Arvia will be our second ship to be powered by liquefied natural gas as part of P&O Cruises ongoing commitment to sustainable travel. Other world-class environmentally-friendly innovations include shore power connectivity and the latest technology for its four main engines.”
Arvia has been labelled P&O’s “sunshine” ship as guests will be able to holiday in the Mediterranean for the summer and enjoy the warmth of the Caribbean throughout the winter.
“The coins that are laid under Arvia’s keel today will be the embodiment of that warmth and sun as they are currency from our winter homeport of Barbados, an island which has had a special place in our heart for over 20 years” said Ludlow. “These coins, with the workmanship and skill of everyone gathered today – and so many more – will keep and protect all on board this spectacular ship.”
Maiden Voyage December 2022
Arvia will be delivered in December 2022. She sails to the Canary Islands for her maiden voyage, followed by a winter season in the Caribbean.
Arvia has 16 decks and will feature;
- Altitude Skywalk a unique high ropes experience
- a swim-up bar and stunning infinity pool
- new and exclusive Mission Control a multi-sensory escape room
- a new restaurant Green & Co featuring Mizuhana serving a plant and fish-led menu
- Ocean Studios cinema
- 1,300sqm of shopping
- and the Oasis Spa and Health Club.
Arvia Maiden Canary Islands, 14 nights from £1,449pp
P&O Cruises is offering a 14- night cruise on Arvia (K203) from £1,449 per person for an inside cabin. Departing December 9, 2022, the price includes full board meals and entertainment. Departing from and returning to Southampton ports of call are Madeira, Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Cadiz and Lisbon. Link -https://www.pocruises.com/find-a-cruise/K203/K203
For more information or to book visit www.pocruises.com or see a trusted travel agent.
- Arvia’s unique name reflects the innovative quality of P&O Cruises new Excel class of ships. The modern and expansive design offers incredible panoramas from the Grand Atrium, pools, bars and restaurants to the retractable SkyDome.
- From the very initial concept Arvia has been created to be the epitome of a sunshine resort and maximise exposure to the Caribbean’s turquoise waters and white sand beaches.
- Arvia will be powered by liquefied natural gas as part of P&O Cruises ongoing commitment to sustainable travel. Other world-class environmentally-friendly innovations include shore power connectivity and the latest technology for its four main engines.
- Arvia will join Iona as P&O Cruises second LNG-powered ship and eighth for Carnival Corporation. All these ships feature Carnival Corporation’s exclusive “green cruising” design, using LNG to generate their power both in port and on the open sea – an innovation that eliminates sulfur and significantly improves overall air emissions to help protect the environment and support sustainability goals.
- Switching from marine diesel fuel to LNG significantly improves overall air emissions with the virtual elimination of sulfur dioxide emissions (zero emissions) and a 95 to 100% reduction in particulate matter. The use of LNG also significantly reduces emissions of nitrogen oxide and carbon dioxide by 85% and 20%, respectively.
- Caribbean itineraries for Arvia run from January to March 2023 and have been created to allow more time to explore eight of the region’s most idyllic islands: Antigua, Barbados, Curaçao, Dominican Republic (a maiden call), Martinique, St Kitts, St Lucia and St Maarten.
- With Arvia’s Caribbean holidays ranging from 7 to 22 nights, guests can choose their ultimate island escape. With an overnight stay in Barbados and an extended call to Antigua on many holidays, there is even more time in these islands.
- The Caribbean is the optimal maiden season destination for Arvia; a ship where every facet, including a unique retractable roof SkyDome and Altitude Skywalk high ropes, is designed to provide exceptional views of the ocean, seashore and surrounding destinations
- When it comes to on board experiences, Arvia offers the perfect balance of familiar and new. This new addition to the fleet celebrates trusted P&O Cruises signatures and new venues including several Arvia firsts.
- Arvia has a choice of 12 restaurants plus eight other exciting places to eat. Fleet favourites such as Epicurean, Sindhu and The Glass House and Iona icons including The Keel & Cow and The Olive Grove will star alongside dining concepts created exclusively for Arvia including Green & Co featuring Mizuhana, 6th Street Diner and Roast Carvery
- The Grand Atrium will host aerial shows and live performances and Headliners Theatre will show high-quality productions for all the family. Ocean Studios offers a multi-screen cinema for box-office hits and movie classics. The Club House by day is a hub of family-friendly activities and by night, the place to be for great live bands.