Gratuities will no longer be added automatically on P&O Cruises
Gratuities have been a bone of contention for cruisers far and wide. Someone only has to mention the word on social media and the flood gates open.
So today’s announcement from P&O Cruises that the daily on board discretionary Service Charge will be removed across the fleet on cruises departing from May 2019, has been welcomed with open arms.
Guests will pay one set price which will include luxury accommodation, award-winning dining in a range of restaurants, complimentary children’s clubs and a wide choice of entertainment options including theatre shows, comedy and headline performers.
P&O Cruises senior vice president Paul Ludlow said: “We take huge pride in giving guests a holiday experience that’s truly memorable and special. By removing the daily discretionary Service Charge, P&O Cruises will make enjoying a cruise holiday an effortless experience, knowing that great service comes as standard.”
From May 2019 the daily discretionary service charge on board will be removed from the following cruises and all thereafter;
- Oceana E911/A 2 May 2019
- Azura A911 4 May 2019
- Britannia B912 4 May 2019
- Arcadia J903 5 May 2019
- Ventura N910 5 May 2019
- Oriana X907 11 May 2019
- Aurora R907 13 May 2019
P&O Cruises Facebook page has already received 342 comments in two hours. Here are some of the cruise line’s responses;
- Rest assured, our wonderful on board staff will not lose out
- We will be making up any difference in wage to them.
- We have listened to guest feedback regarding this
- Cruises will not be going up as a result of this, please note we do operate fluid pricing, meaning they can go up or down at anytime due to demand and other reasons.
- We do not plan to introduce any gratuity on our drinks on board.
- On board spend should also remain the same across Select fare bookings (where applicable).