With the arrival of Celebrity Edge this week, the Celebrity Cruises have revealed another innovative move in the way guests can experience an ultimate behind-the-scenes tour.
The tour which is accessed by using a smart phone app, uses binaural audio, soundscaping, and 3-D augmented reality technology. Now if you are anything like me, you won’t have a clue what that means, so here’s a quick introduction.
Binaural audio is a recording method using two microphones. This creates a 3D sound giving the impression that the sound is happening around you. This is most effective when wearing headphones.
Soundscaping is when ambient noises are added creating an immersive environment.
If that’s not enough to excite you, the 3D augmented reality will get your attention. Celebrity Cruises have already employed the technology in one of the Celebrity Edge restaurants, Le Grand Bistro. Here is a flavour of what this technology can do.
The eye-opening tour is narrated by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Chairman and CEO, Richard Fain, and Celebrity Cruises President and CEO, Lisa Lutoff-Perlo. It showcases more than a dozen of Celebrity Edge’s most innovative spaces, including:
- The Grand Plaza: Spanning three decks at the heart of the ship, this spectacular Italian piazza-inspired space acts as the epicenter of Celebrity Edge and the start of this innovative tour
- Magic Carpet: This transformative venue is world’s first cantilevered, floating platform that reaches heights of 13 stories above sea level along the ship’s exterior
- Resort Deck: Revolutionary in its vision, this outward-facing space offers endless ways for guests to enjoy the outdoors and connect with the sea
- Rooftop Garden: A living, outdoor playscape offering everything from live concerts to dinner and movies under the stars
- Eden: A unique venue where state-of-the-art design is fused with culinary and entertainment to excite guests’ every sense
- Guests can also take a 360-degree peek at the Galley, the Bridge, the Engine Control Room, and the luxurious new Edge Launches
Sailing round-trip from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Celebrity Edge will make her first maiden voyage on December 9, 2018 and her inaugural season will be spent sailing alternating seven-night eastern and western Caribbean itineraries for the Winter. In Spring 2019 she repositions to the Mediterranean sailing a range of seven- to 11-night sailings from iconic cities like Barcelona and Rome in 2019.
Celebrity Edge‘s will be joined by Celebrity Apex in 2020, followed by two additional sister ships in 2021 and 2022.